Old 11-06-17, 07:55 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5471 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by bike_galpal
if it's just the freehub and its significantly worse than the other cup on the hub, it might be worth replacing.

sometimes you need to go through the other side of the hub to grab the freehub bolt, and sometimes it's an 11mm or even 12mm i think. i remember going to several different bike shops that didn't have an 11mm though. sheesh. dropped the 10$ on amazon for one.
keep in mind if you do have to do something weird to pull it, it might be a weird freehub and harder to find a replacement.

i agree however that if it's not pitted or gouged out at all you should just repack and run it.
The cup on the other side of the hub is fine. I do not think there is any pitting or gouging on the cup in the picture. I wish I could pop out that seal but it is metal and it doesn't seem to simply pop out like a rubber seal.
I could get a larger allen wrench and remove to freehub.

I think the problem would be to find a replacement freehub just like it. If I could find a replacement freehub the problem would be solved.

If nothing else, I'm going to clean it the best I can and repack it and run it and keep it greased.