View Single Post
Old 11-17-17, 11:50 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
I got it off with a 3/8" socket drive extension. Fit like a glove.

The seal popped right out. I used a paint can opener. The hook let me get in to the backside of the seal.

Then I polished it with some fine grit emery paper.
Here it is, ready to assemble. It did have some noticeable pitting, and I got most of it out, but I'm wondering - What caused it in the first place? Did it get some contamination in there?
I will be mounting my studded tires on this wheelset. Next spring when they come off the bike I'll re-grease the hub and see how things look. If there's still a problem, then I'll look into getting a new freehub from these folks: Search
WATER... the stuff gets into everything, including just about every rock on this planet... it is a slow acting solvent and oxidizer.

ever pressure washed your bike? ever shot a normal garden hose at that hub? ever ridden in the rain?

you have new cone(s?)... you have polished the cup... put new steel balls in too... high chrome G25 balls.... the stainless steel balls are softer, so don't get them, ok?

Last edited by maddog34; 11-17-17 at 11:55 AM.