View Single Post
Old 02-14-18, 07:26 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
For any topic, we could always just search for past threads, and this whole forum is vast archive of commentary; but this is also a social media site where part of the appeal is interacting with people, and that includes discussing matters of interest in current threads.
On the other hand,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post…
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...Last year I came upon a post that to me embodied the communication style that I like about BF. In response to a long quote, turbo1889 wrote:
Originally Posted by turbo1889
First of all you have no need to apologize for a lengthy post, least of all to me of all people. Part of the reason I like forums as apposed to other forms of written communal internet forms is because I consider it the "long deep conversation format" rather then the quick short snappy sound bite like format like twitter and such.
So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…” I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from the post.
I think that the use of quote boxes, which I have not seen elsewhere, is a remarkable way to graphically diagram a "conversation," including relevant comments from previous threads.
Originally Posted by wphamilton
At last I'm enshrined in a Jim from Boston quote chain, feels like the big time! Thank you.
As my signature line notes, "I use nested quotes (to be read in that order) to improvise an imaginary conversation. Anything outside a quote box is my contribution to the current conversation." I think it’s a succinct, hopefully entertaining way to capture the variety of a topic ("matters of interest").
Originally Posted by Maelochs
...Bikeforums ... the double-edged sword of internet person-powered transport debate.
IMHO, FWIW.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-14-18 at 09:40 AM.