Old 05-25-19, 10:59 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
State champ crit. Big downhill, one easy 90degree corner after a punch of a climb, back downhill and a hard 200meter uphill drive to the finish line. Wind decided it wanted to show up today too.

Last year I crashed here and was sick during the race and had just an awful time. This year I had two teammates and was definitely able to play a role. Spent time off the front to tail gunning to closing dangerous moves.

Towards the end of the race all the strong guys that were left were launching haymakers. The pack was bringing them back but slower and slower each time. 2 laps to go and 3 guys slip off the front. I sit and hope pack brings it back to counter. Coming into the bell they've got 10 seconds or so. I have my one remaining teammate give me everything up the finishing punch and I launch. I bridge across very quick and go by everyone. As I go by the dudes look completely gassed. So its head down and go, no looking back. Pedal the downhill chicane, punch the uphill and corner. Glance over my shoulder and see one guy and pack not far. Head back down, full gas. Finishing climb is head cross. I tell myself to stay far left to block the move. Coming out of the corner into the last climb I left the door open and get out jumped by all 3 of the guys I had inadvertently towed. 4th place with the pack very close behind.

Winner was a jr from out of state who crashed first lap, got back in and still won. So I got to stand on the tree of shame and collect another bronze usac medal. Super happy with how the legs felt and the race played. Haven't had a chance to analyze data yet but all cylinders are definitely firing right now.