View Single Post
Old 06-26-19, 12:32 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by tweekfreekdX
Having one bike, it is ridden as a commuter and weekend fun. I ride on a trail and streets. The trail is next to a creek that floods regularly with heavy rain. This brings lots of sandy dirt on the path. Luckily the bike path will lead me just about any area I need to go. Everything I could really need is in a 5 mile radius. I have started riding to work and the gym daily (about 4 miles total). Also running various errands. What I am wondering is, will fenders provide that much benefit for me and my bike? Or any possible draw backs? I have been looking at vo steel fenders, any thoughts? This forum seems to be the area to ask. Apologies if it is incorrectly placed. Thanks ahead of time.

I have two bikes with fenders - a late-model adventure bike with OEM steel fenders and one vintage resto-mod with aluminum VO fenders. Both fender sets are properly fitted, quiet, and stable. I like the looks of bikes with fenders and they have caused me to ride more in marginal conditions. For example, if it rained overnight and the roads are wet with puddles I won't hesitate to go as I would before I had fenders.

VO makes nice stuff at reasonable prices. When I bought my fenders from them they included a bag full of hardware to accommodate most fender mounting issues. Read the instructions. The VO website also has some fender mounting advice. Plan on spending at least a couple hours installing - half of it standing, staring, and thinking.

The only drawback is the small possibility of picking up a stick or something similar that will jam in the fender. Use release tabs for mounting and this should limit the chance of you going over the bars. In 2 years I haven't yet had a problem of this sort.

Likes For jlaw: