View Single Post
Old 08-12-20, 07:05 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen
My son broke something inside the left-side shifter. He has a Trek 2200 aluminum bike he bought used a few years ago. I was not with him when it happened. He was having trouble moving the front derailler toward the large chain ring, so he tried forcing it by putting a lot of pressure on the lever and something inside gave way. I am guessing the cable got out of the cable guide under the bottom bracket causing the problem with moving the derailler.

So, I am shopping for a used shifter to replace the broken one. In the course of this shopping, I have developed a few questions.

What is a "Shift/Brake Lever Assembly" offered by Shimano. I cannot tell whether in includes the complicated innards of the shifter or if it is only a housing. You can see the thing I am asking about at this link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-105...5.c10#viTabs_0

Is it feasible to repair the type of damage this would have caused to the shifter?

Any information you can provide will be appreciated immensely.

Thank you.
I am not sure of the length of the warranty for Shimano. For Campy it is 5 years. Find an authorized Shimano service center and contact them/bring them the bike. You might just end up paying for labor.