canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Finally had a short window between work, weather, and smoke to get the new old bike out. Just a short test ride but it was good.

It fits as well as her other bike, too big but she's used to that. With the 700c wheels, vs 650c on her other bike, she's up higher but the cockpit is the same.

She kept commenting on how smooth it was and how good the brakes are. Doesn't love the downtube shifting though, we'll see if I have to modernize it.

​​​​I think it's a keeper.

Nice! I wasn't a fan of that frame color, but when paired with the blue bar wrap it makes sense. That's just what it needed for that 1980s Miami Vice chic. I'll bet that bike will look great with matching blue cable housing, if you can find the right color. I have some sky blue cable housing from Sunlite and Jagwire, brake and shifter, and the color matches despite coming from different makers. But It's not quite the right shade of blue for that bike.

While I enjoy riding my Ironman with downtube shifters, I prefer brifters on my carbon bikes. Especially in fast group rides. Some of the folks I've ridden with are strong but reckless, all over the road, moving off their line for no apparent reason in a paceline, or failing to call out hazards. So I want both hands on the bar at all times. But I enjoy the downtube shifters for solo rides or when riding with one or two faster, stronger friends who are experienced and careful riders whom I can trust.

A quick and easy solution for long term compatibility might be bar-end shifters. I have Shimano 8-speed and 10-speed bar-ends and they're great. But I've never tried any Suntour or other types, especially the friction-only types. Some folks love 'em, but they can interfere with the knees on slow speed sharp turns, so some folks will trim the ends of the handlebars. I've used 'em only on albatross swept bars and aero bars, never on a drop bar -- yet. Subject to change at whim.

MicroShift makes some great values in 7 and 8 speed integrated shifters -- if you can find 'em. Those great affordable Chinese made integrated brake/shifter kits from MicroShift, MicroNew and others have been in short supply during the pandemic and economic slowdown. The innards are mostly plastic but so far, so good, with my set of 7-speed MicroShift integrated brake/shifters.

Unlike the Shimano brifters, the brake levers are just brakes on the MicroShift. There are separate paddles for shifting up and down. I kinda prefer 'em to the Shimanos, although the old school Dura Ace 8-speed brifters are pretty much all metal (and grungy after 20 years -- mine are soaking in WD-40 to loosen up the grungy old grease).

The MicroShifters have been compatible with my wheels with freehubs and cassettes from Shimano and SunRace, as well as my 7-speed freewheel rear wheels using SunRace or Shimano freewheels. I'd emphasize using SunRace because the teeth are carefully shaped to ensure compatibility with both Shimano and Suntour groups. I've pretty much given up on Suntour freewheels, other than for friction shifting setups. The squared off Suntour freewheels feel crude and balky with index shifters, including my GPX setup. SunRace MFR-30 and MFM-30 freewheels run much more smoothly and shift crisply with both Suntour and Shimano derailleurs and shifters.