Thread: Clyde Touring
View Single Post
Old 02-14-20, 08:08 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 724 Posts
Weight wise any frame designated as a touring bike and most gravel should be more then strong enough to hold you and your stuff. Most parts won't be an issue either. At 275lb I don't consider my gravel tour bike to be a worry even loaded down. I did consider the 28h generic hubs and what seem to be fairly decent o/c rims to be an issue. Replacements were simple; 8000 series XT hubs, Velocity Dyad rims, 13/14 single butted spokes in the back and standard double butted spokes in the front built 32h 3x. Also swapped out the narrow tires for a 700x35 clement xplor ush tire that is pretty fast on pavement and does well on dirt and gravel roads. Been over a year with some really rough rides and haven't had to put a spoke wrench to them yet. I also just have 160mm discs front and rear and have never felt stopping was an issue, most gravel and tour bikes that are disc equipped will come with this size and it should be adequate.