View Single Post
Old 12-25-21, 03:48 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Sorry to highjack the thread, but could you elaborate on your 1x9 setup? I'm eventually headed this way but am struggling with gear inches vs hills.
It's very much a combo of personal preference, ride strength and types of roads/trails you'll be riding. All my road/touring triples are setup 50/40/30 up front and 12-28 rear and my compact doubles are 50/34 with 11-28 rear. On my triples, it's rare that I use the 30 up front and on my double I've only used the 34/28 combo on the toughest climbs. Soooo for me, a 1x9 setup of 40t chainring w/ a 11-32 cassette is just about perfect.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Not to hijack your question but my 1x9 hybrid is a 38x11-32. Not great for hills should have gone with a 34+ but in the end it is not a hill bike it is a round town "beater" bike
Around town and not a "hill bike" is exactly how I use my 1x9. It's mostly been a kid hauler, cruise to the park bike for me.

Originally Posted by jgedwa
Geez. You are right. I am a bit embarrassed to say that I ws repeating something I had read somewhere but had not bothered to pause and think it through. Thanks for pointing it out. Jim
It's definitely a brain teaser and I had my doubts as to what the right answer was, haha!