Old 12-28-18, 08:00 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricovonsuave
My primary thought was that if OP is in the UK, the 'local' track might well be a fast indoor one like Manchester, Newport (Geraint Thomas National Velodrome of Wales, ahem...), Hoy, or Lee Valley, etc... which probably means at least 2" or even 4" bigger gears are probably appropriate for the boards vs the average outdoor track. And especially if you're that strong and still have some BMX speed, and you might just be a decent sprinter which means future gears will possibly be larger again. Once you can ride the track well...

Do experiment as Carleton says, and race as much as you can. 95-ish sounds like a very good starting point for most club level racing.
+1

If you're indoor then step it up. In races with larger bunches, you could also step it up a bit. Racing local club races vs the larger field carnival day that we have is a 4+" step up as with the larger fields the speeds tend to be a lot faster too.

Once you're satisfied you've got the power production sorted definitely start playing around with larger. With your strength and your BMX background it will likely happen a lot faster than a true beginner. My fastest F200 was on 117". For me it was an unreal feeling punching something so big after spending so many years chasing my tail with smaller "spinny" gears.