View Single Post
Old 09-23-19, 12:52 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
FWIW

I just put on a set of Conti GP5000 28 mm replacing a set of Corsa G+ 28mm

I really liked how the Corsa G+ rode and handled, but I just had too many flats (averaged one per 115 miles) I checked everything I could think of and no luck, and after changing a flat in the rain.....ordered the GP5000

I ran latex tubes......got a huge blowout that would have been a crash at speed so gave up on them, have been using thin butyl tubes and tried sealant (orange seal). No luck, Flats were not in same location, pulled tires off and inspected.

Just did first ride on gp5000..... smoother than the corsa g+ which is saying a lot, maybe a touch less lively, hard to say without more miles, handling feels good again need more info with more miles

I am using conti race 28 tubes, but they feel thicker than the butane butyl tubes I was using. I am also trying caffelatex sealant (overall I am thinking sealant is not a good fit with 115 PSI, tube and tire setups, but hope springs eternal)

and for further reference.... I am 260 and ride at 115 PSI so my experience is probably different from a lighter rider. I am riding city streets/ MUP mostly but street cleaners are maybe montly so if someone breaks glass it hangs around for a while