View Single Post
Old 06-07-22, 03:39 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3478 Post(s)
Liked 1,476 Times in 1,152 Posts
Most of my bikes are rim brake. One bike has disc in rear, rim brake on front. And one has drum brakes front and rear.

I find a good well adjusted rim brake with Koolstop Salmon pads to be comparable to disc brakes in dry conditions. But, if I have a tall downhill of several hundred feet of elevation, my disc brake will overheat faster than the rim brake and braking starts to fade. But, if the hill is really high, you really do not want to overheat your rims and tires on a rim brake bike. (Going down Going to the Sun Road, I stopped twice to check my rims, one of those times I waited 5 or 10 min for the rims to cool.) In wet conditions, the disc is the clear winner. Those are my opinions.

I have never had a bent disc.

If you go back several years, it was commonly suggested that for touring a centerlock hub was preferred as faster and easier to remove a disc when packing a bike for shipping, but some six bolt disc owners argued that point. I do not recall hearing any arguments either way for the past few years. I have not had to pack up my disc brake bike for shipping, but the disc is on the rear wheel and if the wheel stayed in the frame I would leave the disc on the wheel.

If you have a Rohloff hub, you pay more for your disc because a four bolt disc is rare. (My Rohloff is a rim brake hub.)

More bikes are built now with a disc brake unit on a chainstay that does not interfere with rack mounting, that used to be a much bigger problem for disc brake users when the brake units were commonly installed on the seatstay and that caused rack mounting issues. I do not know if front disc brakes and racks still have the fit and spacer issues they used to have, maybe that has gotton better.

Good rim brake rims are getting harder to find.

I think those are the issues for disc and rim brakes for touring in developed countries where parts are readily available.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: