View Single Post
Old 10-31-20, 01:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,900 Times in 6,095 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
If you take medication, has any of them been changed or has there been any dosage modifications? BP meds will do this.
Nope. I am on BP meds, but they haven't changed in a couple years. And I'm religious about taking them, missing no more than 1 day a month or so. (I use a pill organizer to make sure)

Yesterday's ride provided me some a chance to look at real data. According to Strava, I've ridden this exact 19.8 mile route 6 times in the last 12 months. I put together the matched rides, and made a table of average and maximum HR and speed

Compare the 2 rides in October 19 with the equivalent two rides in October 20 is pretty stark. Well over 1 mph faster average speed, and average HR 15-20 bpm LOWER. Plus, in the November ride, I hit 180bpm at least twice - I was really pushing since I knew it was the last postwork ride of the year. Same thing for the ride yesterday - last post-work outdoor ride before timechange, so I pushed really hard, and I was a LOT faster. But my HR maxed out at 166. And comparing my best 2020 effort with my best 2019 effort, my average HR is 21 bpm LOWER

I probably weighed the same (~225) last year as I did in July. I have lost 20 lbs since July - 207 now (calorie counting and riding), and increased riding from maybe 45miles/week up to 90-110 (depending). So, the increase in speed doesn't surprise me THAT much. But combined with the DECREASE in HR I'm a little mystified. Still, I feel great, sleep well, eat well, etc. so I'm not thinking there's something nefarious going on.

Again, not complaining, just really curious. I'm a scientist, so unexplained observations always intrigue me.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles