Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by debenhoh
Thanks for the tip on the tooth-decay issues. I've not heard of that before.
Would you mind sharing your malto/whey protein mix recipe or ratios?
I'm new to the idea of mixing my own, so this may be a simple question: If you made your own HEED, what would you use for flavoring?
Thanks.
7/1 maltodextrin/whey protein by weight. I use chocolate flavored whey protein. The result has a very mild flavor and is not sweet. I mix up a big batch in an empty 5 lb. whey container.

Flavoring: good question. I used to use malto, no whey, and flavored it with Hammer Nutrition gel, bulk in the pint bottle. It's a strong flavor though. People behind me could tell what flavor I was using. I suppose I could have used less. There's probably a flavored electrolyte product out there, no nutrition, just electrolytes. One wants a mild flavor.

I googled "flavored electrolyte powder". So many choices and many of them crazy expensive. I've been using XTEND, a BCAA powder with flavor and electrolytes, mango flavor. It doesn't take much - a scoop makes a gallon at the strength I use just for random drinking at home.

I know a triathlete who spends over $1000/year on Hammer nutrition. IT person, she also has 3 coaches.