Old 11-28-14, 07:17 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I go for less is more. I hate exercise for exercise sake. My riding is for fun with fitness as a side benefit. But I do want to keep fit for health so I gravitated to Body by Science that advocates resistance HIIT for fitness. BBS says you can maintain decent fitness with a single session of five core exercises once a week. The caveat is that they need to be carried to total muscle exhaustion - a very difficult feat. I realize that my body often fools me into doing slightly less than total, so I do resistance twice a week. In the cold winter months I take to the spin bikes but here too I embrace less is more. I do thirty minutes of alternate all out sprints coupled with less aggressive recovery stages. On the nutrition side I embraced a relatively low carb diet (not extremes - still eat rice and some potatoes) and dropped 18% of my body weight including a lot of slowly developed internal fat.

Edit: I started brushing my teeth standing on one foot and may look for some additional balance exercises. Again, I hate the classes -- too much. But I recognize that balance becomes a major issue as we get older and I am now on Medicare.