burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
No. I don't use strava for anything power related. And my ftp is always closer to 90-92% of 20 minutes.

WKO4 showed an increase in modeled ftp after the effort.

Most everything impacts that model. Even 1 second sprint power affects the model.

To everyone, rubi is right in the above posts.

Lots of the shorter stuff contains a pretty disproportionate amounts of anaerobic input. This contribution is different by person. It is probably worse among people like myself without a huge base/aerobic engine like the racer boys and girls who ride 3x the hours I do.

I find for myself, the 90 to 92% also is much closer. Forget 95%, unless you're a long course triathlete or time trial person only. Then you may be closer to 95% as your anaerobic contribution to 20min efforts probably isn't as much.

I tested at 300 for 20min months back. It took appreciable time after that to get my SS workout power for an hour up to 260 even. Why? I had gone through series of weeks of workouts that topped up the LT2 and anaerobic engines and essentially prep'd me for a great 20min test.

Even a week or so after that test, I couldn't do 260 for an hour! It took a few weeks of SS work to do so.

Most folks simply don't have the engine to interpolate short duration power to hour power without sorely over estimating.

Lastly...........the best indicator of performance is performance itself. You want to know.......try it and see.