View Single Post
Old 07-19-19, 06:47 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Jim, I too enjoyed hearing about a bit of history. I was born and raised on Long Island, NY but when I was discharged from the service in late '68 I came to Ann Arbor.

There are many "nice" roads around here among them Huron River Drive between N. Main in Ann Arbor and Dexter....
Thanks for that nice and informative reply. I too moved to Ann Arbor in 1968 to start school, and remained in the Metro Detroit area until 1977.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...We toured in Michigan and Ontario....

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston....
We most recently visited 2007 to 2011, when my son went to school there; and I did the OHR out of Chelsea in 2015. After that ride @Road Fan, Mrs. RF and I went to Metzgers German Restaurant way out on Zeeb Road, formerly on Washington St in town, as I recall.
Originally Posted by Road Fan
...We and Jim chose the 39 mile ride (39.8 on the Directions)...

After finishing, Jim and the Fans had lunch at Metzger's German Restaurant, located between Ann Arbor and Chelsea. Nice place!
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...The ride certainly did attract a lot of seemingly well-attired and equipped cyclists, but all were welcome and the ambience was totally midwestern-friendly.

Our route, and the weather combined for a virtually perfect ride. The roads were very lightly traveled, almost more sag wagons, than local traffic. The scenery was lushly rural, mostly well-shaded with lots of cornfields and farms...

Metzger's is a long standing Ann Arbor traditional and a quite authentic German restaurant. We continued to have a lively conversation, and got quite biographical about ourselves. We departed with a hopeful, Same time, next year.”

As we were leaving I spotted a table of two couples and thought one of the men and I had occasionally exchanged places en route. So I asked him if he was that one.

His companion replied, No, we are from Boston, but we are into bicycling." What are those chances, do you think, there in Michigan?

So I did do a little prostelytizing for Bike Forums, besides touting the joys of Michigan cycling.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-19-19 at 07:05 AM. Reason: added picture on cornfield