Old 02-17-19, 12:24 PM
yuoil 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Surly Big Fat Dummy or Regular Big Dummy Inquiry

Hi Utility Cycling forum!

Over the last couple years I've been desiring a longtail cargo bike. I was considering an Xtracycle but while researching I came to the conclusion that a Big Dummy would be a really good fit, and I have most of the parts I'd need to build it if I got the frame. Recently I've noticed the Big Fat Dummy and I'm starting to wonder if it provides enough utility improvements over the basic dummy to make me choose it instead. I'm pretty sure once I get one I won't be getting the other! I've tried to find user reviews of the BFD but I haven't been able to find much. Mostly lots of interesting pictures with little text. I think it might be the cost and that it's a newish model or so niche specific. Maybe someone here has some experience with the Big Fat Dummy or the Salsa Mukluk and can give some insight.

Basically, I would be using the future cargo bike to go to local stores and maybe yardsales or something of that nature. I would like to be able to carry cat litter, bird seed, mulch, other bikes, building supplies, etc. I have fantasies of using the bike to go to the local dump (with all the household trash/recycle), commute if something big needs to go to or come from work, carry children/camping gear, and maybe some sort of touring but I am not confident that will happen I am currently in a suburban area with poor cycling infrastructure. Narrow to no shoulders, lots of blind turns and many drivers in a hurry, etc. There are many small bogs that are open to riding nearby and I do cut through them often when I have a bike that is capable but even with an ideal route bogs wouldn't exceed 30% of the riding distance with the rest being pavement. I do ride year round.

I am leaning towards the Big Dummy because of price, mostly standard parts, xtracycle accessory compatibility and seemingly superior kickstand. I'm not in a rush so I want to make sure I don't wish I had bought the other one later! I've read that the BFD is supposed to be better triangulated and have a stronger frame, even though it has the same load rating as the BD. I think the wider deck has a lot to offer even if it doesn't have much aftermarket support. And obviously the fat tires would allow transport over sand better, but is it worth the trade off? I would be able to have more than one wheelset with either bike eventually, but the Big Fat Dummy seems to be designed only for bigger diameter wheels which I imagine would make the bike's center of gravity higher than the BD and that seems undesirable. It also only comes in three sizes and that seems confusing too.

Sorry for all the text. I'm still doing research about cargo biking (which I'm enjoying!) and I'm hoping to find someone who uses a fat cargo bike to give real world feedback. Thank you for your time!