Old 11-07-19, 10:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6227 Post(s)
Liked 4,229 Times in 2,373 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Hello all,

I’m thinking of getting a new set of tires for riding in the upcoming winter months. Mostly commuting in the city with a few weekend rides inbetween. I do not intend on gettting studded tires, as I rarely encounter actual ice, so it’s hard to justify the added cost, weight, noise and harsher ride of studded tires. Most of the time it will be slush, snow or wet asphalt.

I have been riding in winter on most sorts of tires, and have been able to have reasonable amount of control with most of them, including low thread commuter tire like Schwalbe Delta Cruiser. However, MTB type tires have been working better overall, so I’m contemplating getting me some knobbies. What do you think what type of thread would suit me best?
I've been riding knobs for 35 years. If there is snow and ice on the ground, I'm using at least 2.1" knobbed tires. I've used road tires in the very distant past but hitting the ground isn't one of my favorite things so knobs are what I use. I prefer an aggressive tread like a Panaracer Dart and Smoke or Fire Pro over something that is for harder surfaces. Larger knobs just grab the snow better and allow for more confident riding.

That's not the whole story, however. I also use suspension, especially in packed snow conditions or fresh snow over packed snow and ice. I have a hardtail with a suspension fork, a soft tail with a suspension fork and a small amount of rear travel and a full on dual suspension bike. The fork does what suspension forks are supposed to do which is to follow the terrain and allow for fork movement. An active fork will hit ruts and climb out of them where a rigid fork be deflected and throw you off line. Rather then have to make constant corrections to the direction of the bike, the suspension fork allows you to float over the ruts and soft spots.

Adding rear suspension helps the bike with traction because the suspension squats down on the tire and makes it grab better. It also lets the tire float over the rut rather than just wallow into it. Basically, every advantage that a mountain bike gets in off-road conditions applies in snow and ice.

Add studs and it gets even better. I don't use studs all the time in winter but when I need them and use them, they are amazing on icy roads. Watch out when you put your foot down, however. I've found that the bike won't slip but my shoes will slide over the same surface.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!