View Single Post
Old 01-26-20, 01:29 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,592 Times in 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Ok, so some minor details. I finished pretty well, but just wasn't really in a large, competitive group. I got 12th overall, about 16 minutes behind first. A couple of guys got in just under 2 hours. Got second in my age group, which I got beat by something like 10 minutes.

So yeah, it sounds good but it's also only like 60 or so people that did the short route and I'm sure a good chunk of them were just joyriding. But for me, who has not been back on a bike consistently for a long time, to finish strong after only about a month of riding again feels like a big accomplishment.

I should mention that in the past I did these events and blew up big time early on just to crawl through the second half. I think it might have been rjones or laj that might have pointed to the fact that I needed to learn how to fuel on the bike. This was ages ago on an addiction thread. I did work out a system and I credit my ability to maintain the effort to that big change.

But the biggest thing for me was digging deep and still managing to have a really fun ride. I was worried going hard would just sap the fun out of it, bit it was quite the opposite.

Now if I can keep improving power and take off some of this weight, I might just be able to start training for longer rides and try to do well in some 100k events.
Kudos!

Keeping yourself fueled is absolutely key, especially when rides get long. I credit my best ride last year to eating a lot more than I thought I needed to.

With my success in completing two 200k rides last year I definitely want to try and get faster. My usual 200k time is around 10-11 hours total but that's a long day out. If I can cut an hour or two off of that this year I would be really happy.