Old 08-27-20, 10:44 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I have the Santic shorts. I hate the Santic shorts, with an unbridled passion. I bought them because I snagged my previous (pearl Izumi, I think) shorts on a rental Roubaix, and wanted something quick for the next weekend. After one 80km ride, the padding felt like a diaper, and the fit between my waist, hips and legs was completely off. The waistband fit ok (though I didn’t like the style), the hips/seat bunched, and the leg and grippers felt loose. A couple more washes and a couple more 80km rides later and I’d had enough. I purchased two more entry level Pearl Izumi shorts, which might appear simpler from a pad perspective, are actually much more comfortable.

I recently started riding with a pair of Biemme bibs on my longer rides (50km or longer), and while I don’t get the hoopla around the straps, the shorts themselves are a nicer material than the Pearls - smoother and a bit more fluid on the body, and interfaces better with my Prologo saddle, which the Pearls are just a bit too grippy on. The pad is also more ergonomic - it’s what the Santic was going for in appearance, but then got so incredibly wrong on execution.

I hate my Santics so much that I won’t ever try any other Amazon cycling gear - and this is from a guy who was happy with the value and comfort of Performance branded jerseys and shorts for over a decade. So yes, if you can swing it, good cycling gear is better, but you can definitely find decent, reasonably priced gear as well. I just don’t think Santic fits that descriptor.