Old 03-20-20, 04:01 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
First road bike under 1500
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
So I have a hybrid that I love (C’dale Quick 5) and I am looking at getting my first road bike. Not interested in competing or doing anything crazy.

I would love to buy something I could modify and upgrade in the future, but that is a decent base to start with. What should I be looking at?
From my own personal experience I have gone from a high end carbon fiber road bike to a heavy duty hybrid, so here's my specific suggestion for your stated price FWIW:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Help with choosing a bike."

...Now here’s where I’m coming from. I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist, and my favored bike is a high-end carbon fiber bike costing thousands of dollars..

I also have a aluminum beater road bike costing about $1500, and for me that was a minimal road bike, to be used in bad weather.

FWIW, I also have a Giant Escape hybrid bike that I recently bought for rehabilitation, because I was having trouble with my neck and shoulders riding the drop bars.

That bike cost about $600, and IMO was a good value as an all-round bike...
"Who's Completely Happy with Their Bike"

... I'm very happy with my Specialized S-Works for dry weather riding, but my Cannondale Mountain bike was pretty heavy and cumbersome as a Wet/Winter beater. So I recently bought a Specialized Diverge Elite aluminum bike as a wet weather beater, and it rides nearly as nicely as the S-Works, so I'm very happy with the Diverge.

...I liken my three bikes to a Lamborghini, a Humvee, and a Lexus [the Diverge].
...The new hybrid is a Buick .

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-20-20 at 04:12 AM.