Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
First road bike under $1500

I previously posted to this thread:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Help with choosing a bike."

...Now here’s where I’m coming from. I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist, and my favored bike is a high-end carbon fiber bike costing thousands of dollars..

I also have a aluminum beater road bike costing about $1500, and for me that was a minimal road bike, to be used in bad weather.
"Who's Completely Happy with Their Bike"

...So I recently bought a Specialized Diverge Elite aluminum bike as a wet weather beater, and it rides nearly as nicely as the S-Works, so I'm very happy with the Diverge.
Originally Posted by Gconan
Don't get stuck with something that only takes 25mm tires....
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Giant Defy/Contend, Fuji Sportif .... if you want specific suggestions .... for a Starting Point.

What you really want to do, I think, is go to all the bike shops within driving range, and test ride as much as you can...

Also .... I Absolutely second @Gconan:Get something that can take larger (28mm-32mm or larger) tires for comfort if needed." Wider tires can be more comfortable, and also increase the bike's versatility.

if you can fit 35s or even 38s, you can use the bike for grave, or riding comfortably with big loads, and if you want to have an easier time of things on a pure road ride, 28s will give you aero, cushion, and low rolling resistance
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I'm not certain how much I would agree with this view though I know the trend is towards bigger. My previous build was a steel road and with 23s on it could ride all day. Current build is carbon and velocity a23 with 25mm tires is a close fit but works and the ride is all day comfortable.

I can see the argument on bikes built stiff or old aluminum but 25s are a really comfortable ride IMO. If I want bigger I've got a gravel bike..
On my carbon fiber road bike for dry paved roads, I prefer 25C tires. While I'm not not especially pushing my particular suggestion above, but I did buy it importantly because it accepts 30C tires.
Iwas very happy to find out that I could get Marathon studded tires in a 30 C size for this winter for my Diverge beater bike,..

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-20-20 at 04:01 PM.
Likes For Jim from Boston: