Old 03-31-20, 02:37 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Cvalentine
... I know buying a bike that really requires a skilled hand to keep on the road seems like a dubious decision ...
Not at all. Bike maintenance is easy and I'm sure you'll pick it up quickly. The only downside to your choice of a vintage bike is that parts can be a bit tricky to get hold of. But then modern bikes aren't necessarily that easy as I found out when trying to get new headset bearings for mine.

Oh, and if your tire says 700 on it then it sounds like someone has put more modern 700C rims on. Make sure that the rim tape is good - it could be a spoke sticking into the underside of the tube. Another possibility is that there's a thorn or stone stuck in the tyre; find it and remove it or you will keep puncturing. Otherwise the tyres themselves may be poor quality or just old, so replace them with something a bit more bulletproof like Conti Gatorskins or Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. And learn how to fix repair inner tubes - it works out a lot cheaper than buying new ones all the time.

Last edited by jgwilliams; 03-31-20 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Additional info