View Single Post
Old 08-15-18, 01:30 PM
Kryten41

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice. I don't actually have any downward slopes where I live other than my driveway, which is a very short downward slope (about the length of my bent) before the dip at the bottom and up into the street. I just need a lot of practice. I've done very little bike riding since the early 1980's. I bought a beach cruiser in May, and actually still wobble a bit getting THAT started from a dead stop. Fortunately I have a large church parking lot about 2 blocks from my house with a big vacant part that is only used on Sunday mornings. I am pleased that I have progressed to the point that I don't panic and put my feet down too early when I stop, and that I am starting to handle it well enough to signal a turn. It's a bit of a challenge, but in a good way. I just bought this to ride around my neighborhood a bit, I thought it might be easier on my knees and back than my beach cruiser. For some reason I REALLY pull down on the handlebars when starting from a stop, to the point that no matter how tight I think I have the stem tightened, I still pull the bars down. I'm having some fun though!

As to what gear I am trying to start in, I am using the middle sprocket in the front chainring and the next to the largest or the next one down from that in the rear. I am aware that if I start in a gear that is too easy, my spinning motion can throw off my balance.

Last edited by Kryten41; 08-15-18 at 01:36 PM.