View Single Post
Old 05-05-20, 03:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I've seen many suddenly turn around and cross in front of you.

Right handed people turn counterclockwise, so when they decide to head back they turn to the left and cross in front. Last year I was following a cyclist doing about 23mph on a MUP when the as he passed a runner, he crossed in front and they collided.The cyclist when over the bars, broke his collarbone and I learned later that he cracked 2 ribs and fractured his wrist. The runner was wearing ear buds.

Luckily I was able to stop.

MUPs are the worst, I rather deal with cars.
I too would rather ride on roads. One of the main ways into and out of town for many of my rural/gravel rides is a 5 lane road with a MUP alongside it. I ride the road every time while the MUP is packed. I ride faster than what is ideal for that segment of trail and with 2 lanes going both directions in addition to a turn lane, cars can pass me by changing lanes and not slow down.

But your MUP story really doesnt disprove anything from what I posted.
- I dont know what you are talking about with right handed people turning counter clockwise.
- The runner being unsafe wasnt because they were wearing earbuds, its because they didnt look before turning. You are blaming one thing when the issue is another, which is quite common in our society.
- 23mph on a MUP with others using it is probably 8mph too fast.