View Single Post
Old 05-23-20, 08:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot
Something I've noticed while researching is that not all 853 decals are the same. While some decals state they are butted main tubes and others will include butted stays.

My question is what if it doesn't state anything other than 853? Is my whole frame 853 or just the main tubes? Double butted or triple? Is it up to the builder to decide what decal to use?
How do I know what tubes are what and how the are manipulated?
​​​​​
This is the decal on my frame.
dzb tubing is for gravel bikes, mtb, at, etc.
its basically tubing that will allow the down tube to not neenot external gusset while still passing some Euro resting standards.
Consider it beefy and absurdly strong.

There were some lemond bikes made with 853 and some with 853pro too, for what its worth.

As for if the bike is all 853, I would doubt it, but really it won't matter much since a .8 or .6 tube with the same diameter will weigh the same regardless of if its 853, 631, or generic cromo.
My 853 main tube gravel bike uses generic cromo stays. The stays are heavily manipulated(bent) and that possible with basic cromo. Example of when itd better to have 'lesser' steel.
Likes For mstateglfr: