View Single Post
Old 05-27-20, 12:39 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Steve, that's a good data point. Thanks!

Before this morning's ride, I spoke with a Garmin CS person, who had no idea what is going on and wanted to "open a ticket." I declined. After all of the hassles with this thing so far, either this issue gets sorted out without escalation, or it gets returned for a Wahoo.

Then I went for a ride, and tried turning off the Connect App's cellular data, and after two hours my phone battery was down 8%...So, that's an improvement, but still not as good as your result. I did lose accurate (updated) weather data on the home screen, but I can live with that. Still not sure if I am okay with this app draining my battery at all, though.
I follow the assorted bike websites as well as the Garmin 1030 forum and the 2 Garmin FB pages and can say I've never heard this complaint (all that means is you've discovered a new way for a Garmin to not function correctly). I've used 3 different Garmin's as well as a Bolt, had no obvious issues. I would look at user experiences on the Garmin forums for the 530 as well as the responses on DC Rainmakers site for the 530. IMO the 530 is as good a unit as a Wahoo and I prefer the color screens, so would hesitate to dump the Garmin for a Wahooo, especially as you;ve invested time getting it configured. That time spent has to get done allover again with a Wahoo.

I would suspect an issue with the GCM app itself, not the device, thus would literally dump the app and re-install. Don';t do an update, just get rid of it. Then re-do your BlueTooth configuration. It kind of sounds like an over-active data connection between the device and phone, thus the GCM is using a lot of processing and draining the battery.

Here's the Garmin process for re-doing the BT:On the phone and in the GCM app, from the My Day page, select the More tab.

Select Garmin Devices in Garmin Connect Mobile

Select the Edge 1030.

Select the 3 dots on the top right and remove the device.

Remove from Bluetooth settings in your phone settings.

Remove Phone pairing from Edge
  1. Go to the Edge 1030 Menu.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Select Connected Features.
  4. Select Phone.
  5. Select Pair Smartphone.
  6. Select Forget this Phone.
Turn off the phone Bluetooth.

Turn off your device.

Select the More tab, on the lower right.

Select Settings.

Sign out of Garmin Connect Mobile.

Double tap the Home button on your iPhone (the round button the front) and swipe off all the applications.

Restart the phone:

Once your phone boots up

My addiction - Uninstall and reinstall the mobile app.

Turn on Bluetooth and make sure that location services are on.

Go to Connect app and sign in.

Select, Browse All Compatible Devices.

Select Edge

Select Edge 1030

Put the Edge 1030 into pairing mode.
  1. Turn on device.
  2. Go to the Edge 1030 Menu.
  3. Select Settings.
  4. Select Connected Features.
  5. Select Phone.
  6. Select Pair Smartphone.
  7. Select Continue.
In Garmin Connect Mobile, follow directions to pair

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-27-20 at 02:12 PM.