Old 11-04-19, 10:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've almost always driven like I'm hauling nitroglycerin in the trunk. From the time I was a teenager my family told me I drove like a chauffeur who didn't want to disturb the boss's backseat nap. I've driven fast when appropriate -- empty stretch of Midwestern highways -- but rarely recklessly, and always mentally castigated myself when I did take stupid chances.

In decades of driving I've had only one unforced accident, sliding across the curb on a cloverleaf exit in misty wet conditions. Wrecked the undercarriage. Never came close to repeating that again. I've been struck several times by reckless drivers -- while I was driving, riding motorcycles and bicycles -- but I can honestly say I didn't contribute at all to those collisions. Some folks just should never be behind the wheel. Bring on the AI robot cars, can't be any worse than most human drivers.

You'd think the same mindset would influence our driving and cycling, but, nah. I'm pretty careful riding my bike around traffic, but at any opportunity I'm going as fast as my toothpick legs will churn butter. On group rides when everyone else is coasting I'm pedaling. Alas, I'm not strong or fast enough for the A-group, so I'm all show and not much go.

On some group rides I see terrible bike handling by otherwise perfectly nice folks. I kinda wonder how they drive. But if my habits are any indication, there's not necessarily any connection between our bike riding and motor vehicle handling skills.

In my area most drivers are at least tolerant of cyclists and many are deferential. But there are a lot of cyclists in this area, so visibility and frequency helps.

Alas, it takes only one negligent, reckless or outright hostile jerk to spoil a day or a lifetime. I've been hit twice in less than 20 years, both times by negligent drivers in avoidable situations. Completely life changing experience. I haven't had a day without pain in almost 20 years. From 2001 when I was hit the first time breaking my neck and back in six places, until 2014, I walked with a cane. But I was determined to ride again and resumed cycling in 2015. Then I was struck again last year, breaking my shoulder and re-aggravating the old neck injury. I'm back on the bike, but a lot more short-tempered than I used to be with jerks piloting two-ton death cocoons. Some rides I'm getting a full body workout, between pedaling and gesticulating like a grumpy old Italian man accusing his buddies of cheating at bocce ball. Nah, I'm not flipping ya off. That's just my "cigar."