Old 05-25-20, 02:41 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by ckindt
Edit: I just saw this is 10-days old. Did you make a decision yet?
Thanks for the feedback, ckindt! That's exactly the feedback I've been looking for... someone who's "gone down both roads" already

My experience with the 3Vs so far has been that along with 32mm tires, the wheels are a huge improvement in comfort on some nasty roads when compared to the 25mm tires on a narrower rim that I'm used to. That and they truly do inspire confidence in high-speed downhill cornering. However and as you've already noted, they certainly don't feel fast (I have no way to determine if they actually are or aren't, but they don't feel zippy.) I just ordered a pair of Continental GP5000 tires because I literally had the sidewall on the rear stock Bontrager tire blow-out on me yesterday and leave me calling the wifey help-wagon. So much for tubeless being reliable. Hopefully the GP5000's live-up to all the hype!

I haven't made a wheel purchasing decision yet beyond deciding that I'm not going to buy a second set of 3Vs for the reasons you stated. If money were no object, I'd certainly go the XXX route right now but my wallet tells me I can only go that route if I go used. Sometimes I think Bontrager really should market the wheels as Bontrager Aeolus $$$ instead of XXX.
Likes For PoorInRichfield: