Old 07-20-15, 12:32 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pookieman
Hi

I use the bike for a 12k daily commute and riding on the weekends with the kids on hard packed trails (secretly hoping they get into it more and we can do more adventurous off road biking), I looked at the 7.2/7.3 but wasn't confident the wheels and/or frame were up to the task, I'm 6'5'' and 200lbs.

Anyway love the bike, I'm not going for a speed record but I feel like the rolling resistance is a bit much the tires are the stock Bontrager LT2, 700x38c. The question I have is without getting slick road tires what would be a good option to maintain the stability but not the width, I was thinking about getting a 700x28 tire, I think that's the thinnest I can go safely on the current wheels. I assume I have to get a different inner tube as well?

Maybe it's just me I have the PSI at 80 which is around the max but I can visibly see the tire flatten when I get on, I'd like to be able to increase the PSI as well. I live in the Pacific North West so we get plenty of rain.

Finally question what is the difference between a 700x28 and a 700x28c ? what is the 'c' for.

Many thanks!
Our late beloved guru Sheldon Brown has a history of tire systems and he notes that in the French system - the nominal letter indicated the width of the tire. C is a wide width tire although originally it applied only to narrow road bike tires! There is more information about it here:

Tire Sizing Systems