Old 11-06-19, 02:15 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Do you ever observe or talk to bicyclists who ride in the city for transportation purposes rather than sport, or are not members of your bicycling club or people who do not resemble your personal profile?
I hate cycling clubs for the record and will never join!

I ride for sport so yeah hundreds of cyclists on the weekends wear helmets. I chat with many for the record, noting about helmets, observation.

I ride on the roads during weekdays. I see some riding for sport, all have helmets. I see some commuters, all have helmets.

I have seen a ton of commuters while driving, all have helmets. Utility riders wearing helmets.

I'm guessing you come from a weak cycling community or state. Seeing not long ago you made a comment, speaking for the rest of the USA, that you did not see many cyclists sporting Specialized bikes. Now that is very odd to me as I see them ALL THE TIME, EVERYWHERE around here.

But yes, here, I see all kinds of cyclists. Sport, race, commute, recreational, and seriously even the children wear helmets on kiddie bikes as it is the law here.

You must live in a small town community. Things must be very different where you are compared to my home. I see some posts on Strava as well from other small town cyclist. As an example, many times I have seen posters claim top ten spots on the Strava leader boards. Well yeah, when you only have 20 riders on a segment, the chances are much higher to post a top ten spot.

As an example, this is an image from Strava to show how many cyclist ride on the local segments. Very popular stretch used by racers, recreational, sport, commuters, touring, you name it!

Take a look at the red circle, 19, 3432 cyclists on this one stretch. Believe me, there are hundreds of miles around here that are highly populated by cyclists, all types. Our mountain roads are also highly populated with thousands of cyclists as the Tour of California rides through our hometown.

Not sure how many cyclist ride in your area but we have THOUSANDS OF ALL TYPES. I wish I could see the amount of cyclists for each segment on your local Strava.

Yes, 19,342 cyclist on this one of a million segments in our local area. Of course the commuter types "MIGHT" be at the slower end but they are there too, and wearing helmets. I say MIGHT because I know a guy who commutes that kills many cyclists riding superlight roadies while he rides a heavy commuter type old rusted mountain bike.

This is why I find it strange when you speak for the rest of the USA saying there is no place where there are lots of people riding Specialized bikes. I guess you have never ridden your bike here!

Likes For TheDudeIsHere: