View Single Post
Old 01-04-20, 01:02 AM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Eric,

That looks like a pretty awesome bike! Checks almost all the boxes. Gearing, water bottle mounts, even tubeless. I'd be curious what a bike like that weighs?

As far as bikepacking, it will probably be local stuff at first, maybe a 1 nighter to start. Eventually I'd like to bikepack in the North Georgia mountains. Last ride I did there was 58mi, and 6500 ft of climbing to give you an idea. Trying to keep the weight I'm carrying to a minimum.

Dave
The only real potential negative is the pressfit BB. Mine got a little crud in there after a few months and my LBS cleaned and added some grease and it's been fine after that. The LBS owner said this PF BB is not the same style that draws criticism. It is of a slightly newer design. I took him at his word, since he owns the bike shop and chose the same bike for himself; he knows his stuff and is a racer-racer kind of rider. I've since upgraded to a better Wheels Manufacturing BB from the original Praxis when I switched to GRX. Still PF of course.

I think the bike weighs around 25lbs, NOT a lightweight. It's 720 Reynolds. I easily gained 10 lbs just over the holidays, so my priority right now is me, not the bike's weight.

eric/fresno, ca.

Last edited by ericzamora; 01-05-20 at 10:53 PM.
Likes For ericzamora: