View Single Post
Old 11-22-13, 08:38 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jmm
Am I the only one that has problems with MKS Superior pedals (the ones WITHOUT the separate plastic locking clips)? I have several sets of the original EZYs in various forms and have no complaints other than an occasional lost locking clip (but Thor stocks spares!). With the newer Superiors though, the locking sleeves on my adapters don't fully push, pull or twist very easily and I have to almost pry to get the locking mechanism to engage/disengage. I've tried lubing the adapters with everything from Boeshield T-9 to Teflon Grease to dry lubes with no significant improvement. They definitely got worse when it got colder outside so I put something else on for now. This is the first year I've used Superiors and they probably only got about 500 miles and 40 installation/removals on that bike this season, so I'm thinking they might just need some more breaking in. Any other MKS Superior experiences, bad or good?

I also have a set of Wellgo QRDs, and have tried them on different bikes, but can't quite get used to stepping on the red thingy. They come with a couple different thickness pedal washers so you can orient the release to different positions in relation to the crank arm, but I haven't found the right place yet. Bumping (or actually stomping on) the the lock thingy hasn't broken anything or caused an unexpected release, so maybe it's just the kind of thing you get used to in time (if you can stop being anal about it).
Thanks for the comments on the Superiors.. I never popped for them as I was really happy with the EZY setup and I had Q/R adapters on too many bikes to warrant changing over..

With the QRDs, I spend some time getting the red pedal release to follow the line of the crank arm .. straight forward .. sometimes a bit of a niggle with various pedal washers, but once adjusted, it's not something you have to fiddle with anymore ..