View Single Post
Old 06-06-20, 01:35 PM
danh123

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
I've heard good things about the Orbea. I'm just a Pinarello fanboy and have four other Pinarellos in my stable, (KOBH, FCX, FP6, FP Team). I've only had two real rides with the Dyodo, so can't really say about the assist settings. On the first ride, I tried all three. The lowest helps. The highest gives a good kick. The middle was a good compromise between assist and battery drain.

With my regular bikes, I used to average 15 mph on a ride of any length. Maybe faster on shorter rides, maybe slower on much longer rides. This ride I commented on in post #2 was sort of a test run to see just how far I could go with the assist. The route was planned to be flat, on a bike path, no stops, and it turned out to be a day without much wind. Ended up riding farther than I had planned. Went so far, still had a lot of juice and felt good, so went for the next mileage milestone. I do find that the assist makes me pedal harder to maintain that 20 mph speed. It's a blast going that fast, and solo, not part of a peloton. I'm also finding that riding that fast, one creates their own wind. Going 20 mph feels like you are constantly going into a wind, but it is a wind that you are creating yourself.

The middle setting is enough of an assist to allow me to maintain 20 mph without an overwhelming intense effort. Just a middling effort and 20 mph is easy. I can see that the highest assist would be used when I'm tired, or when I really am going into a headwind. The lowest setting I don't find much use for...yet. I'm still experimenting and learning the system.

No big hills yet. I'm saving them for later this summer when I've shaken off the winter inactivity. Being big, I'm not much of a climber anyway. Going up any hill of note at 5 mph is normal for me. The one hill I did climb, I found that I could take it at close to 10 mph. But can't say if that is because I'm in a bit better shape, the hill was not very steep, or the electric assist was helping that much. As I said, still experimenting and learning the bike.

How do I like it? Well, it's a Pinarello and rides like one. Stable while being responsive. Handles like my other Pinarellos, but feels heavy, (which it is - 27.5 pounds advertised). Once you're moving, it feels like a normal Pinarello, especially with the assist. Without assist, it feels like a heavy bike.

Hope this info helps. As I ride more, I'll get a better feel for the bikes characteristics. Been raining lately, so no riding.
Very helpful, thanks. Would love to hear more after you do more rides!