Old 09-06-19, 08:36 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
It's not the clearest picture with the 720p video, but you can make out the rumble strips. The rest of the asphalt doesn't look the smoothest or cleanest either, so I can see why the cyclist chose the traffic lane.
I had no trouble seeing the rumble strips. The rest of the asphalt, on the shoulder. Made it impossible to ride on the shoulder.

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
It's good that he survived this. It looks like it may not have been a direct hit, but instead a grazing hit on his left side. A few inches more and it would have probably been fatal.
Agreed, It wasn't a direct hit. But, While not intentional, it definitely wasn't a grazing. Because, The SUV's front bumper. Made direct contact with the back wheel. The SUV started to drift to the right. But the driver not stopping, after the collision. Is heinous by itself.

Originally Posted by SactoDoug
He has my empathy. I was rear ended by a minivan doing 40 mph a few years ago but had different injuries due to being on a recumbent bike. It was still a very unpleasant experience.

I wish him a successful recovery.
I am glad you survived. I wish him a speedy recovery.

In just a few weeks, I am moving from an urban setting, to a semi-rural setting. Where the main traffic artery is just like this:

1. 55mph

2. No traffic lights or stop signs

3. Poor conditions on the shoulder

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I am not sure the word "rear ended" is appropriate here. Hit. Run down. Bludgeoned. Those all come to mind.

Driver will barely get a pee pee smack unless they were drunk.
Hit-n-Run, is certainly applicable here.

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Terrifying!
To say the least.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I agree...

One of the problems with the rumble strips is that if one is to the left of the rumble strips, one can't easily move right when traffic comes up behind.

The other thing is that the cyclist must also be aware of the sun in the eyes problem.

If the cyclist can't see, then the drivers behind him also can't see (so, proceed with that in mind).

That is a high speed, 4 lane hwy... One of the types of roads that I try to avoid. But, if I have to ride one, then I try to get as far away from the cars as is practical.

I do ride skinny tires, but that might be an argument to go fatter if it is part of a regular route (and the shoulder is rough, hard to tell from the video).

During low traffic times, I'll often ride close to the white line, or sometimes in the lane, but move over when cars approach (which the rumble strip precludes).

I've ridden rumbles... downhill, they can be really bad.
I unfortunately am moving to an area. Where the 'main artery', is a road just like this. I would have to stay on it for 1.4mi., before I could get off of it. So I am still wondering what I will do.

When I originally got my road bike in 2003. It came with 700x23. I eventually went to 700x25. I don't think that will be much help with rumble strips. Even if I have the tire pressure. At the top of the PSI rating.