View Single Post
Old 06-14-20, 05:57 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
If you want the lower profile look, try on some "aero" helmets like my buddy in the red here. I have no idea if these come in a budget version.

I couldn't see the picture... but I can probably guess what such a helmet looks like.

Right now I've got a Specialized Chamonix that I got last year, which to me is pretty streamlined... It was pretty much what the guy at my LBS recommended; I suspect based on my budget + what they had in stock that day. The mushroom look in this definitely isn't as bad as it could be, but not as good as it could be, either. Previously I'd only ever bought the cheaper helmets such as Bells and the like, so this was the most I've ever spent for a helmet, sadly enough, even though it was only around $70. But it's also definitely the most sleek helmet I've ever had-- my last helmet was the multi-sport type (to cover more of my head and try to minimize the mushroom look, which it did with limited success) and before that, well, a Bell from the 90s, 'nuff said; I'm pretty sure it was illegal for those to look good on anyone. It'll do the job I need it to do, I assume, and the look could definitely be worse, so I can't complain.