Old 07-16-20, 09:27 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Hey everybody, so I just put in an order from Light Bicycle, and when I asked about the rear wheel lacing pattern, they told me they use 2X on the drive side, but zero cross on the non-drive side. I'm a little bit concerned about that, I've never had a rear wheel with a radially laced non-drive side, all my other wheels are 2X both sides. The hub uses J-bend spokes too, which I know can't be brought up as high as straight pull. Before I reply to them, I wanted to get some feedback if anyone else has this rear wheel lacing pattern? Also, if anyone has had a "custom" lacing pattern, did it cost extra to deviate from their standard lacing pattern? And of course, does anyone else have one of their wheels with this pattern, and does it ride ok? Thanks!
I've built a couple wheelsets with 16:8 lacing in the rear. In terms of building them up--16:8 is easier--not just because you don't have to do 2x on one side but because spoke tensions are more even on both sides which is helpful. Performance-wise, I'm not a good enough rider to notice a real difference between that and 2x all the way around--or even 3x. I've never been offered this lacing pattern by LB. What hubs are you using?