View Single Post
Old 07-16-20, 10:04 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Straight pull doesn’t allow any flexibility with lacing, so my wheelset was 2x both sides. I would recommend going 2x both sides. You get more torsional stiffness that way. Ie there are more spokes transferring the hub torque to the rim. If you’re getting a disc brake wheelset, it’s a no brainer.

My OE wheelset came radial/2x. In the easiest gear, the spokes would bow out so much that they would skim the derailleur cage. But to be fair, the spokes on that wheelset were horrible.

The benefit of radial/2x is that it looks somewhat cool, you save a couple a grams, and it’s infinitesimally more aero. In some cases, you could have more lateral stiffness (depends on whether spoke heads face in or out). The con is that you have less drive stiffness. This can cause detensioning of spokes under high torque. It can cause derailleur rub like in my case (but it’s highly unlikely). It could also create a worse feel under power.
Thanks, that's what I thought. I'll ask them to change to 2X both sides. Don't see why they'd not be able to do that.