Old 07-26-20, 08:24 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
My Android phone, I use the Maps.Me app and the Komoots app. I use a Garmin on my handlebar while cycling and mostly use the Garmin for routing. I use the phone apps when sitting in the campsite to compare different routes if I did not like the looks of the route that my Garmin suggested.

Maps.Me, I load the maps on wifi and can use them off line. It has routing by car or by bike. Last time I tried the bike routing (months ago, maybe it is better now?) the bike routing was really poor, I dd not use it.

Komoots, I need a data connection to use that, or wifi. I only used that for routing when I was unsure of route.
That is the key for me. I like being able to load the maps and use them with no service. WikiCamps worked like that for me. I was able to download the state map I wanted, and use it offline. I tried using it the other day, and I am not sure it works that way now. It was acting odd. I will have to try it again. I did use it last weekend, but I had service. Having to be online is a nonstarter for me. Last year's tour found me without signal a lot.
Likes For phughes: