View Single Post
Old 07-14-19, 02:35 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Nice build! A three-speed on a nice slick bike is a joy to ride.

I have but one minor quibble, based on a similar build. The shift cable running directly from the bottom bracket to the hub, leaves a lot of cable exposed to get hung up on things. My cable got caught on the heel of my shoe, and got torn out while I was on a ride. I had to hobble home in 3rd gear. So I now add a little guide -- here you can see that it's just a piece of cable housing, innertube rubber, and zip tie. This has lasted for a few years so far. Also, make sure the shift cable can't get hung up on the cable guide that's down there for the original derailleur cable.
May just be how I position my feet, shorter crankarms or longer chainstays, or some combination thereof, but I'm no-where close to the shift cable (or the chainstay) at any point in my pedal stroke.

I see you aren't using a cable stop on that end of the housing - do you have any issues with having to adjust the shifting?