Old 05-26-22, 10:23 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
As I mentioned, I did a little restore/update build on the exact same bike (model & year) that I found here in houston for a riding buddy, in a size 58 frame for him. I ended up having a tire clearance problem with the rear brake bridge. The little bulge where the brake screwed into stuck down a little bit and the tires I put on were hitting it pretty hard. We had taken off the 700x23 tires and I wanted to put on 700x28 Panaracer Pasaleas. But, it was not to be. After some research, some asking here, and talking to my bike shop buddy, I found out these older Rxxxx frames are tire size limited because of that damn brake bridge. There's plenty of clearance in the front fork, and between the chainstays, and behind the seat tube. It's just that freakin bridge. So, 700x25s it was. The issue was on the old Dura-Ace wheels that came with his bike (we sold them because they were so hard to work with), AND on the Mavic CXP Elites we got to replace them.

So, I was worried that because the Campy Zonda wheelset I ended up getting was actually a 17mm internal width and not 15, I was going to have another problem since wider IW means larger volume. So, I was super nervous when the tires I ordered showed up.
It's worth noting that I had a set of 28mm Pasaleas just sitting around and I did try to mount them to the Zondas just for the hell of it, but I just couldn't get those suckers on there - I think it's the wire bead, because I had no issues mounting the foldable tires I ordered.

I got a set of Vittoria Rubino Pros in 700x25, with the yellow stripe to match my colorway highlights I was doing. I've never had colored tires before - i bet they'll be dirty af after 2 rides.

Anyway, i mounted everything up and I was SO relieved when it cleared the brake bridge.

Likes For the sci guy: