Old 04-16-20, 09:57 AM
mastre

Bikes: 2009 CAAD9-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pros using relatively low cadence?

I was watching the live stream of Geraint Thomas who's doing a 3-consecutive-day 12 hours/day Zwift fundraiser for the NHS (rode with him yesterday for a couple of hours, along with thousands of others) and I noticed that his RPM was pretty much exactly 66 RPM most of the time. I've been out of road cycling for about 6 years and now getting back into it, back "in those days" the general thought was that high cadence (~90 RPM) is desirable for the reasonably fit, and from what I've gathered even recently the "new thing" is that maybe high cadence is not great for amateurs (because it gets HR up more than it needs to) but still a thing for pros (where the legs moving faster is not a concern to HR).

Is this just a personal thing? I actually tend to prefer ~90 RPM because I also run and want to keep stress off the knees. I was just surprised to see G run at 66 RPM. I'm wondering if it's because of the length of time, 12 hours is way more than even a TdF day. Would like to hear your thoughts. You can watch today's first 8 hours here(link is on Fb so it won't post -- search for him on Fb and it'll be one of the top posts for today, a "was live" entry).

Last edited by mastre; 04-16-20 at 10:03 AM.