View Single Post
Old 08-16-19, 06:01 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by iamacat
What kind of brakes did you use and what, if any issues, did you encounter with them?

As far as the cost picture I'm mostly looking at 2 possibilities:
1. No keeper parts. Swap out all the parts for more modern ones. This would end up costing more but hopefully still less than something like a new Surly since I would only pay <$100 for the frame. That's fine.
2. Almost all keeper parts. This would be cheaper if I can find something like that. That's fine too.

Either option is good.
On two bikes, I used dual pivot Tektro's, whatever reach was appropriate. Those are super nice brakes, and not exorbitant. On one other bike (single speed coaster brake hub plus front brake), I kept the original Dia-Compe because it was still in quite good condition and works OK. On the "World Tourist," the Dia-Compes were so mushy that I had very poor braking action, and that's when I decided to splurge on a pair of Tektro's. Bent brake arms and other damage seem to be frequent issues on these older bikes if they weren't well kept.

If you're planning on a derailleur bike, a 1x setup might be adequate for commuting, switching the small ring to whichever side gives you the better chainline. That eliminates the need for a workable front derailleur. I have a bias towards not throwing a lot of money at an old bike until I at least prove that I like riding it.

One thing I missed was, make sure the frame comes with a seatpost that is not stuck. (Try to loosen and move it as a condition of buying it). The reason is that Schwinn seatpost diameters were all over the place, and not terribly well documented. Finding the right diameter seat post is a hassle if you don't already have one that fits. In most cases, the stem will also be a keeper, and I've never seen bad headset bearings. If the front wheel has Brilando clips (a Schwinn exclusive) keep the cones and transfer them to your new wheel, or send them to me.