View Single Post
Old 06-21-19, 02:39 AM
Silvestru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Here is a post I did a while back with links to online material on Liberia. It comes from a thread I started a while back on my introduction to the brand, a c.1972 Liberia that may be a Grand Luxe variant that was originally sold out of a bike shop in Columbia SC. I have been very pleased with mine, and it is exhibit A for the statement, "The French have a way with gaspipe." I suspect it is built with what later became Liberia 102 (unlike Carbolite 103, which was purely a Peugeot product made in house), and on a metric-gauged frame with a 28.0 mm seat tube exterior it takes a 25.8 mm seatpost, so a whisker over 1 mm-thick tube walls isn't too shabby for what was sold originally as a campus bike in the early 70s.

Liberia isn't seen too often in the U.S. because they apparently were doing well enough selling bikes in the Grenoble region. The majority of them I see appear to be in the Southeastern U.S. and date from the great bike boom, when distributors were combing Europe looking for product to sell.
Thank you! It is full of Liberia history and information.
I started searching for Liberia and was aware of your post since Maurice shared his knowledge.