Old 07-17-20, 01:12 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Rich and I rode only as far as the light house , had some fruit and water and then back down the coast. We got our cards stamped at the check point. I was not aware of any northern extension beyond that. We did however do the moonstone beach route that a lot of folks skipped and we did the climb to the last signal and entered town from the southern end. A lot of folks went into town the same end we left from. It was confusing and not that well marked, sort of a “follow the leader” ride. I would have liked a longer , maybe a bit more challenging, route myself. The Paso short route was perfect. I don’t know what the future holds for this event but I would be interested in going a bit rogue for a longer ride. I am just not up to 80 miles . I could do a half century and be fine with it. My wife and I stayed in San Simeon so I got some riding in to and from the event .
I had an idea last year to go out with the Via Dello Salatore riders, ride as far as Cayucos and then turn around and be back in Cambria in time for the start of the Piedras Blancas ride. That would have made it around 70 miles but still very flat, and I would have gotten to see more of the coast. Then I had another idea that if I didn't do that I could sleep later, so I just rode what I thought was the regulation Piedras Blancas ride plus a little side exploration around Cambria when I was done.