View Single Post
Old 08-10-19, 07:25 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
I was also toying with the idea of having a seat-stay splitter installed, and if I do, perhaps a kickstand mounting plate as well. By the time I get it re-powdercoated after all that work, I'm looking at just shy of $1000. Might as well get a custom frame at that point. All this because Surly can't put a %#@! kickstand mount on a @#%*! touring bike. Pardon my cursing, even if it is contrived.

I'm going to take the bloody kickstand off today and try to get one of those Specialized kickstands that @Rob_E mentioned.
Hi NC, you did know it didnt have a stand plate on it, but here's a serious question, it seems to me that we don't see mounting plates on bikes anymore, not touring ones in any case. I know I am not ever specifically looking for this, but is this the case?
As others have said, its probably just easier for a manufacturer to not deal with overtightening issues, also one less step in the frame making, and they dont have to consider the structural stress issues into a frame design.
I could be totally wrong, but it seems to me we dont see plates on bikes nowadays.

ahh, the military aircraft--that explains your working techniques, being super clean/organized, and makes complete sense, and also explains why your kickstand contraption was so well made. Totally fits in with the required structure and organized necessities of the aviation industry.
You would be aghast if you saw my mess of a workplace!

on a side note, I like the lime greeny colour of the Troll. I'm still glad mine is plain old black, but that lime jello colour is cool looking-especially when its so spanking clean ;-)

and yes, summer projects really did take up the whole summer, house, visitors, you name it....and still ongoing...
Likes For djb: