View Single Post
Old 08-20-19, 03:14 AM
Grotug

Bikes: Scott Addict Team Issue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Just lost my detailed reply. On other forums the text gets saved but I cannot retrieve it on this forum for some reason using history or the back button, so this rewritten reply will likely be super lame (I hate rewriting posts).

@Carbonfiberboy: Thanks for the tips/insights! I need TrainingPeaks Premium to track those metrics? I'll try to remember to check my Heartrate tomorrow morning to see how much variability it has (I don't have a WHOOP but I did watch a video on HRV that was fascinating and useful).

I have a 27 mile race on Sep 15th that finishes higher than it starts and much of it is comprised of rolling hills. My goal is to finish around one hour ten minutes (or less) as the front group usually finishes one hour 5 min (unlikely I'll be able to hang with the front group, but maybe if I do everything just right between now and then?)

About my TSS and IF scores: I feel that my FTP has gone up significantly since I took the test on June 13th. I've actually calculated that it has gone up by up to or more than 40% since I was able to complete the 40/20 exercise at 300 watts for the 40" portion of the workout (300 is 120% of 250: I made the estimate that my FTP was about 250 based on recent off the charts IF and TSS scores). The 40/20 workout suggests doing 120% of FTP for 40 seconds and easy spin for 20 seconds 10 times, and 3 sets total with 5 min between each set should be very difficult. My FTP on June 13th was measured at 178 (at a facility). Therefore it's hard to make use of my TSS and IF scores which are regularly "too high to be possible" since I no longer know my actual FTP. For example recently my shorter, moderately hard rides have IF scores of 1.12 (even on rides with lots of recovery in them) and the last two group rides have been 1.25 IF.

I just stumbled upon this interesting article that talks about overreaching and how some overreaching is necessary to get stronger (I was definitely overreaching for the first month of training). https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/f...s-on-the-bike/

The reason I thought I could increase my training load/intensity recently is because I saw a sharp increase in performance two plus weeks ago, which led me to believe my form was increasing and it was time to pile on some more fatigue! Sounds like I need to start tracking those metrics, though, since much of the past two plus months has been a guessing game. I definitely want to try to get my form right for Sept 15th and need to plan my next three weeks now to reach race day in peak form. So I probably don't want to be doing a bunch of guessing between now and then.

@tobey: thanks for the tip! I should be able to find one in my town.