Old 09-06-19, 10:20 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbs1951
Seeing the frame number, and how it appears and the style of stamp, confirms to me what workshop built this frameset (if I could see the frame I could tell you the name of the man who built it). Geoffrey Butler Cycles in this period had three suppliers of frames - two were what you might call Hall of Famers, the third was a respected builder but not in the same league as the two Hall of Famers.

So to be clear this stamp is not a Geoffrey Butler Cycles stamp but that of the builder. In the later years of steel Geoffrey Butler Cycles sourced frames from less desirable builders (e.g Nigel Dean frames built in the Falcon factory): not bad frames, but from those who built solely for the trade.

In terms of build, the desirable English build would be, without doubt, Nuovo Record. However, a TA Chainset, Weinmann brakeset, NR transmission...would be an acceptable and realistic - in period - compromise.

John.
From the thread mentioned in post #26 , Randy stated..."But I have been digging and, to the best of my ability determined that the bicycle is a Geoffery Butler, probably of late sixties vintage and most likely built by Cliff Shrubb. Now that is something but something yet to be proven, however; Cliff did, indeed, as one forum member mentioned, build bicycles for Geoffrey Butler and he (Cliff) would have been doing so in the late sixties. Cliff was also noted for his use of the seat lug that is featured on my bicycle..."

Would that be close to matching what your information is?