Old 09-13-19, 09:53 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I plan to ride 28 spoke two-cross wheels on a five day bikepacking trip next week - God willing and if I don't hurt myself in the next three days.

Spokes are Sapim Laser with brass nipples.

Gear weight will likely be 30 lb to start, less as I eat my way through the trip. I currently weigh 178 lb.

The route is probably 50% paved, 40% gravel and 10% singletrack/horse trails, 220 miles and 23,000 ft elevation. It isn't much distance for five days but this is my first trip of this length and includes terrain which will surely require pushing the bike. I'm also new to camping so want to leave lots of time for setup, teardown and practicing technique.

I've done one night trips with this setup and have ridden them on in anger on some pretty good gnar (by gravel bike standards) so drama is not expected. That said, if the wheels break, they break, and I'll have a set of stronger wheels built. If they hold up then life is good. Either way, I'll report back here.

-Tim-
yeah I screwed up, I should have ordered the Lightbicycle wheels, a long time ago. I didn't think I'd have this riding window that I have now. and at the time I didn't know if I wanted 15 or 12 x 100. the difference being if I need 15 then I'd buy 6 bolt. for 12 I'll buy center lock.

and I really should have ordered them when they had more Asymmetrical options.